Notify the following contacts applicable to you (and everyone moving with you) of the date you are moving from your existing address and the new address you are moving to.

It is advisable to arrange for Royal Mail to redirect your mail for at least three months after your move. This should prevent any of your mail being intercepted and possibly used for identity fraud.


Relatives and friends

Clubs and Organisations

Health clubs and Gyms

Professional Organisations

Magazine subscriptions

Utility/Service providers

Request that the meters are read and the final account bills sent to your new

address.  It is a good idea to also read any meters yourself on the day you move.

}Request meter reading and final account.




End or transfer contract to new address.

End or transfer contract to new address.

Transfer an existing licence to your new address.

(Contract only)

Cancel deliveries and settle outstanding bills.

Give the required written notice to your landlord.

Tell your current District Council that you are moving.





Cable/Satellite TV

Broadband Internet provider

TV Licence

Mobile phone company

Regular suppliers

(milk & papers)


Your landlord, if renting

Council Tax

Credit card providers

Store card providers

Store Loyalty cards

Loan/hire purchase providers

Rental companies

Banks and Building Societies

Driving licence(s) £1000 fine for failure to notify changes. Vehicle registration certificate(s) (log book).

For all cars, motorcycles, etc.




Car Insurance

Breakdown service

Register with a doctor in your new area.

Register with a dentist in your new area.

If you have school age children select new school(s) in your new area and let existing schools know of your pending move.

Notify data registration company of new address





Pet Identification micro chips

For any companies you have shares in.

Pension Companies

Premium Bond Office


Inland Revenue

Your employer

Arrange cover at the new address for Buildings and Contents insurance. Check that cover for contents "in transit" is provided under your policy. Don’t forget other items not covered by your contents policy for example boats, caravans etc.

Insurance Companies

HMRC - Your Tax Office

Whilst this may not be a priority, it may be a good idea, especaily if you are expecting a tax rebate. Remember it is your responsibility to inform them of your change of address.  Most people will assume their employer will do this. So when you move tell HMRC as soon as possible at or contact your local tax office.

Return to Top

Checklist for change of address